Hospice of Odessa is committed to providing the highest quality care to our patients.
What is Hospice Care?
Hospice focuses on quality of life when you have received a diagnosis of a life-limiting illness. Hospice provides the most effective medical care to control pain and symptoms, offering emotional and spiritual support to patients and those who love them. Patients are treated with dignity; their pain is brought under control and then they can focus on living each day to the fullest.
Hospice care includes:
- Collaboration with the patient's personal physician
- Hospice physician services
- Regular home visits by nurses
- Assistance from hospice aides for dressing and bathing
- Counseling services
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Pain management and symptom control
- Spiritual care and support
- Volunteer support
- Bereavement programs (individual and group)
What to expect
Hospice of Odessa provides a true community of care for patients and their families.
- Licensed, certified professionals available 24/7
- Care team designed to meet each patient's specific needs and may consist of nurses, social workers, counselors, chaplains, respiratory therapist, dietician, occupational therapist, volunteers and certified nurse aids
- Medical directors oversee each Hospice of Odessa care team
- Hospice of Odessa helps educate families on the community resources available
When is the Right Time for Hospice?
Hospice is not just for the last days of life; it is for the last phase of life. That often begins when a person receives a prognosis that his or her disease process will only worsen and cannot be cured. A veteran, family member, physician or spiritual care provider may begin the process with a simple phone call. Once a veteran is admitted to Hospice of Odessa, he or she will be assigned to a care team. These specially trained individuals will visit the veteran’s home or current place of residence and assess their needs.
Paying for Hospice Care
Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurers have a hospice benefit. All veterans enrolled in the VA’s healthcare system are eligible for hospice and palliative care. Hospice of Odessa will work directly with a veteran’s insurance company to arrange payment for services. No one is turned away from Hospice of Odessa for financial reasons.
Where is Hospice Care Provided?
Veterans receive hospice care wherever they reside. This may include a personal residence, long-term care facility, hospital, assisted living facility, group home or homeless shelter.